Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Jaxon Turns 2

Jaxon turns two
One of the things I love to read here in the blog world is birth stories. I love birth and babies. I’m just gonna throw that out there. It doesn’t matter the story, usually by the end of it, I’m on the verge of tears and I’m thinking how maybe I should have another baby. But then I mentally slap myself and say, “Girl, you just HAD a baby!!!”
Jaxon turned two yesterday, so I thought I would share his birth story.
(This is a BIRTH story, I won’t give any gory details, but just be forewarned.)
His story starts on the night of November the 1st. We had a committee meeting that night with our church outreach committee. We met at a family restaurant in town for supper and to discuss various outreach topics. At this point, I was not in labor. I was clueless that in less then 12 hours I would be holding my firstborn son.
Gerry and I got home around 9:30 or 10. I felt tired, achy, and very pregnant..no different than I had been feeling for awhile. I watched Gerry play soccer on Xbox for awhile before I decided I really needed to go to bed and get some rest. I went to bed around 11:00. I slept fine until I started to feel cramps in my lower abdomen and back. At first I thought it was just Braxton Hicks contractions which I had already been having for a few weeks. They weren’t very bad and I tried changing positions to see if they would go away. I got up to go to the bathroom and on my way back to bed, I looked at the clock and saw that it was 1:12 in the morning. I got back in bed, hoping to fall back asleep. In just a few minutes though, the pain began to intensify. It came and went in waves, with each wave getting worse and worse. Gerry woke once to ask if I was okay; I told him I was having cramps (I was still slightly oblivious). As the pain got worse, he became concerned and I realized it was probably time to head to the hospital. After a phone conversation with my mom, we began to gather ourselves together. I had nothing ready to take to the hospital (because it was 2 1/2 weeks before my due date) so I just grabbed my purse and took off in my pjs and slippers.
Once we were at the hospital, I waited in the car while Gerry got help. Two nurses came with a wheelchair and wheeled me up to the birthing center. They asked me a couple questions about my pregnancy, just for conversation, to which I could barely respond because I was in so much pain and talking was not  something I felt like doing.
There was a flurry of excitement as the nurses helped me get settled in bed. They took my vitals and asked me questions that I could barely answer. One nurse had different forms that I needed to sign, which was not my cup of tea because I could barely hold the pen. One of the nurses checked to see how far dilated I was…6 cm.
Gerry became my rock and I squeezed his hand through the contractions as the nurses coached me on breathing through my nose and out through my mouth. An hour later I was dilated 7.5 cm.
Dr. Lucas came to check on me and told me that I would be able to push soon. The pressure inside me mounted as the urge to push came with more of the contractions.
Finally, the go ahead came…Dr. Lucas explained what he wanted me to do and then it was showtime! I have never worked so hard in my life. I tried to follow the nurse’s counting as I pushed with everything I had. Really, it gave me something to focus on instead of the pain. Two or three times I could feel the baby shifting down more. Dr. Lucas and the nurses kept encouraging me, telling me I was doing a good job. I knew I was almost there when the Dr told me he could see the head.
I could tell the exact moment when the head crowned. I felt a burning sensation and with a few more pushes, I felt the baby’s slick body slide out. Instantly, I felt no pain. I felt lighter then I had in months and it. was. euphoric. The adrenaline caused me to shake and I couldn’t believe that I had done it! Me, little old me, had given birth! Naturally, with no epidural. Jaxon Jeffrey was here, all 7 pounds and 4 ounces of him.
Gerry had the privilege of cutting the cord of our precious and screaming baby boy. I managed to ask what time it was and Dr. Lucas replied “4:14”. From start to finish, I was in labor less than four hours. The whole thing was mostly a blur for me. I didn’t feel very coherent at all and didn’t communicate very much because of that. I was just focused on riding out the wall of pain that kept slamming me. Sorry, for those of you have not yet experienced child birth. Brutal honesty.
I am not that into the whole “empowering women” mantra, but ladies, if you want to feel empowered, give birth. That is just about the most powerful thing a human being can do on this earth…I mean, you are using your body to bring another human being into this world and it is just…euphoric.
Fast forward two years and we have this adorable little two year old that absolutely brightens our world. He can be so dorky at times and comes up with some pretty hilarious stunts. He can be frustrating at times when it seems like he just will never learn to listen to me, but at the end of the day, I love this boy; I love seeing his cheesy grin across the supper table from me; I love when he brings me his current favorite book to read again; I love watching him interact with his papa; I love when he voluntarily gives me tight squeezes.
This child made me a mama and has shown me how imperfect I am as a mother. Because of him, I know what the important things in life are. Not the housework, but the times when maybe I don’t feel like reading that book for the 100th time.
Happy Birthday, sweet boy. I am so glad we’ve had you these two years.
Jaxon turns two

No comments :

Post a Comment